Home
Deities
History of Temple
Vesas of Deities
Festivals of the Temple
Sevayats
Kendrapara At a Glance
Accommodation & Darshan
Nearby Visiting Places
Photo Gallery
Video Clips
Rathyatra Archives
Donations
   Contact Us
   Links to other Temples
Bulletin Board
For any query please contact Temple Administration.
 
History of the Temple

   

The place where this marriage of Sri Baladevjew was performed is renamed as Tulasi Kshetra. It is said that after the death of Balarama his dead body was transformed into a Manibigraha (stone image) which was  worshipped by Devatas at the door of Patalpuri which is identified with Lalitagiri in Dwapar Yuga. When Kali yuga appeared Buddha Dharma (Buddhism) spread over the area. Devatas kept the image of Balabhadra in disguise under water of Madhusagar (river Gobari). After Gopal Siddha Das, a cowherd boy discovered the stone image of Balabhadra near Siddha Sarobar it is worshipped at Kendrapara it is worshipped as Siddha Baladev Jeu after the name of Siddha Das, who discovered the deity first. In the 13th century A.D., king Anangabhima III of Ganga dynasty constructed one temple for the worship of Lord Siddha Baladeva Jeu near present Kacheri of old Kendrapara town which is about 60 hands (28 mtrs) high over a vedi (Mandapa) constructed previously. Some historians are of the opinion that stone image of Lord Baladeva Jeu on a plain and square mandapa (length 75 dhanu) was worshipped by Kalyan Devi, the queen of Madhav Raj of Sailodbhava dynasty during 7th century. This Mandapa was renovated by 2nd Indradyumna Yayati Keshari and was consecrated by the Brahmans brought from Jajpur. Other historians differ from the above views and  in their opinion, one Mandapa (vedi) was constructed during the period of Bhaumakaras for the worship of Lord Balabhadra at Kendrapara and subsequently reconstructed by the Ganga monarch Anangabhimadeva-III as stated above. Mention have been made of the Talcher Copper Plate of Sivakaradeva, the king Gayada of Bhaumakara dynasty, in which we come across the name of Hari, Damodar, Haladhar, Madhusudan, Govinda, Tribikram, Gobardhana, Janardana, Purusottama, Sudarsana, Balabhadra, Vamana, Vasudeva, Visnu, Narayan, Narasimha and Padmanava. Thus the period of Bhaumakara rule is very important for Orissa from the religious point of view. For the first time we come across the name of Balabhadra in the Inscriptions of Orissa. The original temple was demolished by Khan-i-Duran (1660-1667 AD), the then Subedar of Orissa during the time of Moghal Emperor Aurangazeb on 2nd April 1661 AD. He constructed one Masjid on the foundation of the dismantled temple in the year 1663 A.D. Devotees of Lord Baladev Jeu, took the deity in disguise in a boat through the river Govari and kept the deity in a secret place near Baranga (Chhedara) Jungle. Afterwards it was shifted to Balarampur village near Luna river at Sakhi Bata. So this place is sacred for the Hindus. The present shrine of Siddha Baladeva Jeu was constructed during the Maratha rule in Orissa (1761 AD) of Ichhapur (Kendrapara). It was constructed by the king of Kujanga, Raja Gopal Sandha and Zamidar (land lord) of Chhedara killah, Srinivas Narendra Mahapatra. One saint (Santha) Gopi Das and Sairatak Giri convinced the then Maratha Chief Janoji and constructed the Jagamohan, Bhoga Mandapa of the main temple, temple of Gundicha and compound wall. The Viman and Jagamohan, are built in pidha style of temple architecture. Afterwards Mukti Mandap, Ananda Bazar, Bhandaraghar (store house), Gouranga temple, Basudeva Temple and Garuda pillar were constructed inside the temple enclosure. Painting of some Hindu iconography was done on the roof ceiling and inner wall of Jagamohan. The entire area surrounding the   Lord Baladeva Jeu temple is traditionally known as Tulasi Kshetra. The image of Tulasi Devi is worshipped in a temple near village Gochha on the northen side of the road from Kendrapara to Ichhapur. The stone image of Lord Balabhadra and wooden idols of Jagannath, Subhadra and Sudarsan are also worshipped according to the rituals of the temple in Lord Jagannath at Puri. Tulasi Kshetra (Kendrapara) and its adjoining areas were once upon a time a centre of Buddhist and Saivite cultures. Some of the Buddhist and Brahmanical images recovered from here have been preserved in the Indian Museum at Calcutta (Kolkata). This place is very near to Lalitagiri, Udayagiri and Ratnagiri where famous university of Puspagiri and Buddha Vihar flourished since 3rd-2nd century B.C. Therefore the entire deltaic area from Lalitagiri to the river Mahanadi and the sea is full of sacttered Buddhist antiquity. Zamidar of Chhedaragarh also was worshipping one of the Buddha images in the dense forest of Baranga Jhada inside a temple facing north. The present Siddha Baladeva Jeu temple, Kendrapara was constructed on the same spot. Now the old image of Buddha in the campus is being worshipped as the father of Lord Baladev named Basudev.

 

 

 
 
 
 
History of the Temple
 
Temple Hours
05.00 AM - Jay Mangal Arati
07.00 AM - Neeti Snana
08.00 AM -Ballav Bhoga
11.00 AM to 12.00 - Dhupa
03.00 PM - Dwipahar Dhupa & Pahuda
07.00 PM- Uthani & Sandhya Arati
09.00 PM - Nisankhudi Dhupa
10.30 PM - Badasinghar
11.00 PM - Puspanjali, Palanka lagi & Pahuda
 
Design & Development by Barsha Infotech
Site best viewed at 1024 x 768 and compatible with the browser IE 6.0 and above.
Disable the pop-up blocker for error free access to this website.